Saturday, October 02, 2004

You know, when I was in college, there was always the "old man" at the party. Somebody who was too old to fit in, but didn't want to admit it. Some guy who was living way in the past, and didn't realize that it wasn't the 80s anymore, and he wasn't cool. We always felt sorry for him, and cracked jokes. It wasn't even the same guy, usually.

My friends have all been complaining about how old they are, and feel. To a small extent, I can understand. It's hard to believe that kids who weren't even born when "Top Gun" and "Back to the Future" came out are old enough to vote.

But I don't feel any older. I'm 27 now, and it feels very young. I know what's on the radio, and what shows are on TV. I'm as comfortable with today's pop culture as I am of the 80s and 90s. I'm up on stage making music for the college kids on the weekend. The majority of the girls I date are indeed the college-age girls. I don't dress in the most current fashions, but then again, I never did.

So I can't help but wonder - am I the "old man" at the party now?

No comments:

Post a Comment