Monday, January 19, 2004

Perfidious.

Strumpet.

Sometimes I think some of the best words in the English language are being phased out, in favor of misspelled or abbreviated text messaging words, like "kewl" and "LMAO." Sorry, your ass is still there, no matter how many times you type that.

Not only are the good words going away, so are the great exclamations, like "Tarnations!," "Egads!," and "Pshaw!" What are these replaced with? "Shah!" "As if" "Oh, no, you di'in!"

Now, I'm not one of those who believes that the English language should stay static. And I'm eternally grateful that my parents' generation's slang didn't last. May "Far Out" and "Groovy" rest in peace.

But I wish that the ongoing evolution of the English Language would be towards greater creativity and complexity, rather than simply being dumbed down.

One of my favorite shows of all time is "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." One of the first things that drew me in was Joss Whedon's ability to turn accepted sayings and sentence construction inside out. There are websites devoted to the unique sayings bursting forth from virtually ever episode.

I don't want a return to old english. Verily, 'twould suck in a most heinous fashion, forthwith. But let's not lose the old, let's just gain the new.

After all, wouldn't "Perfidious Strumpet" be a great name for a rock band?

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment